- Portion size: 16
This recipe makes 16 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||6 g|
This colourful egg dish full of vegetables and cheese deliciously appropriates the flavours of ratatouille.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 2 2garlic clovegarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspchopped fresh oregano, (or 2 tsp/10 mL dried)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 3 3zucchinizucchinis, thinly sliced
- 5 5sweet peppersweet peppers, (green, red and/or yellow)
- 6 6eggeggs
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsmilk
- 1 cup 1cup10% cream
- 1 tsp 1tspdry mustard
- 1 dash 1dashhot pepper sauce
- 24 slices 24slicesegg bread
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsshredded Asiago cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsshredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh parsley Oven-Roasted Tomatoes:
- 4 cups 4cupscherry tomatocherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp 1tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp 2tspchopped fresh rosemary, (or 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchpepper
In bowl, combine oil, garlic, 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oregano and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Add zucchini; toss to coat. Reserving oil mixture, arrange zucchini on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; broil until tender and browned, about 6 minutes.
Core, seed and cut sweet peppers into quarters. Spread on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; broil, turning once, until skins are loose and blackened, 10 minutes. Let cool enough to handle; peel off skins. Toss peppers with reserved oil mixture.
In large dish, whisk eggs, milk, cream, mustard, hot pepper sauce and remaining oregano, salt and pepper; set aside.
Trim crusts from bread; cut slices diagonally in half. Dip into egg mixture, turning to soak well. Arrange 16 bread triangles in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish; sprinkle with one-third each of the Asiago and mozzarella cheeses. Cover with zucchini. Repeat bread and cheese layers once. Cover with sweet peppers, alternating colours. Top with remaining egg-soaked bread; pour remaining egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with parsley and remaining cheese. Cover with plastic wrap; place another baking dish or plates over surface. Refrigerate for 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Uncover and bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until crusty and golden, about 1 hour.
Oven-Roasted Tomatoes: Meanwhile, in small glass baking dish, toss tomatoes, oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until soft and juicy, 1 hour. Serve over strata.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2004