Tandoori Spice Blend
This recipe makes 3 cup servings
- Portion size: 3/4 cup (175 mL)
Toasting the cumin and coriander seeds, the cinnamon and whole cloves — before blending them with the other spices in the mix — awakens their flavour and fragrance.
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupcumin seeds
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupcoriander seeds
- 1 1stick cinnamon, broken in chunks
- 1 tbsp 1tbspwhole cloves
- 1 tbsp 1tbspeach ground ginger, turmeric and mace
- 1 tbsp 1tbspsalt
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgarlic powder
- 1 tsp 1tspcayenne pepper
In small heavy skillet, toast cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cloves over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant and slightly darkened, 2 to 3 minutes; let cool.
Transfer to spice grinder or clean coffee grinder (wipe coffee grinder with paper towel before and after use); add ginger, turmeric, mace, salt, garlic and cayenne pepper. Grind together. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 1 month.)