Tex-Mex Tomato Rice Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 6
Garnish this kid-friendly soup with minced fresh coriander, shredded chicken or/and sour cream. Serve with Monterey Jack and Green Pepper Quesadillas.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1jalapeno pepperjalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspeach salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground cumin
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspchili powder
- 2 2carrotcarrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplong-grain rice
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplime juice
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add carrots, rice, tomatoes and 4 cups (1 L) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.) Add coriander and lime juice.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005