This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||14 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 4
Turkey and vegetables all rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla make this perfect for recharging your child's batteries at lunch. The burritos can be made ahead and either arranged in the glass baking dish or wrapped individually and frozen. Just thaw and increase cooking time by 10 minutes. You can cook the burrito the night before and just have your child rewarm it in the microwave at school.
- 1 lb 1lbextra-lean ground turkey or ground chicken or ground beef
- 1 1oniononions, finely chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1fresh jalapeño pepperfresh jalapeño peppers or pickled jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspchili powder
- 1 tsp 1tspground cumin
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 1sweet green peppersweet green peppers, diced
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupssalsa
- 1 cup 1cupwater
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh coriander
- 8 8small whole wheat tortillawhole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcrumbled feta cheese
In large nonstick skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat; drain off any fat. Add onion, garlic, jalape?chili powder, cumin and salt ; saut?ntil onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add green pepper, salsa and water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in half of the coriander.
For each burrito, place rounded 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the turkey mixture on one side of 1 tortilla and roll up. Arrange, seam side down, in single layer in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish. (Make-ahead: Cover; refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with feta cheese and remaining coriander.
Additional information :
Vegetarian Burritos: Use 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) black or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, instead of the turkey.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2004