Turkey Pot Pie With Cheese-Cornbread Topping
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Total time : 1-1/4 hours
- Portion size: 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||20 g|
|sat. fat||11 g|
|dietary fibre||3 g|
Leftovers from a turkey dinner are inevitable, and pot pie is a delicious way to serve them. Apples add sweetness to this not-so-traditional version and complement the easy topping.
- 3 tbsp 3tbspbutter
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2ribs celery, chopped
- 2 2sweet-tart appleapples, (such as Idared), cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupall-purpose flour
- 3 cups 3cupssodium-reduced chicken broth or turkey broth
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupmilk
- 3 cups 3cupschopped or shredded cooked turkey
- 3 3turkey sausageturkey sausages, (8 oz/225 g total), cooked and sliced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper Cheese-Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup 1cupall-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1cupcornmeal
- 1 cup 1cupshredded old Cheddar cheese
- 2 2green oniongreen onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgranulated sugar
- 2 tsp 2tspbaking powder
- 1 cup 1cupmilk
- 1 1eggeggs
- 3 tbsp 3tbspbutter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchpepper
In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion and celery, stirring occasionally, until celery begins to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add apples; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Stir in turkey, sausages, parsley and pepper; cook, stirring often, until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish.
Cheese-Cornbread Topping: In bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, cheese, green onions, sugar and baking powder. Whisk together milk, egg, butter, salt and pepper; stir into cornmeal mixture. Spoon over casserole and spread evenly.
Bake in 375ºF (190ºC) oven until lightly golden, 32 to 35 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2012