Vegan Squash Lentil and Chickpea Soup
This recipe makes 4 servings
|per serving: about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 4
This hearty, made-from-scratch soup will be ready to devour in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 tsp 1tspcumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 2 cups 2cupschopped, peeled butternut squash
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspchili powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 3 tbsp 3tbsptomato paste
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)chickpeachickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups 4cupsvegetable stock
- 1 1strip lemon rind
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry cumin seeds for 1 minute. Add squash, onion, garlic, chili powder, pepper and salt; fry, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add lentils, chickpeas, stock and lemon rind; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Discard lemon rind. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
More squash recipes:
Additional information : Substitution: You can replace the cumin with whole or ground fennel or caraway seeds.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2005