Your lamp will take center stage with its own ballet costume.
• a plain white or beige lamp shade
• pink acrylic paint
• ribbon, 1.5 cm (5/8 in.) wide
• ribbon rosettes, about 25
• newspaper, a medium paintbrush, a tape measure, chalk, scissors, double-sided mounting tape, fabric glue, an elastic band
Click here to see an image of steps 2 to 8.
1. Paint the lamp shade with two coats of paint, letting each coat dry.
2. Wrap the tape measure around the bottom of the lamp shade and multiply this measurement by three. This is the width of tulle you'll need. For the length, measure from the top to the bottom of the lamp shade, add an extra 5 cm (2 in.) and multiply this number by two. Cut a piece of tulle to these measurements.
3. Fold the tulle in half lengthwise.
4. Stick double-sided mounting tape around the top of the lamp shade.
5. Starting at the back of the lamp shade, press the folded edge of the tulle firmly onto the tape, making even gathers as you go. Continue all the way around the lamp shade. Trim off any excess tulle.
6. Measure around the top edge of the lamp shade and add an extra 2.5 cm (1 in.). Cut the ribbon to this length.
7. Spread fabric glue generously on the ribbon. Starting at the back of the lamp shade, press the ribbon around the top edge, covering the gathers of tulle. Use an elastic band to hold the ribbon in place while it is drying. (If the ribbon doesn't look smooth when it dries, cut another ribbon and carefully glue it over top.)
8. One at a time, apply fabric glue to the ribbon rosettes and glue them onto the tulle in a scattered pattern. Let dry before putting the lamp shade on the lamp.
Excerpted from Stuff for Your Space by Ellen Warwick. Copyright 2004 by Ellen Warwick. Excerpted, with permission by Kids Can Press Ltd. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Page 1 of 1