Piece of felt (or other nonfraying fabric) in desired colour, 112 x 56 cm (44 x 22 in)
Piece of stiff cardboard or Mylar, 55 x 27.5 cm (21-5/8 x 10-7/8 in)
X-acto knife with sharp blade, metal-edged ruler and cutting mat
Fine-tip permanent marker and pencil
Click here to see the Cut-out felt tablecloth pattern!
1. Enlarge pattern by the squaring method as follows: On brown paper, draw grid of horizontal and vertical lines 2.5 cm (1 in) apart. Each square on diagram equals a square on paper. Enlarge pattern by redrawing each line in the corresponding square. With knife and ruler, cut out.
2. With pencil, trace pattern onto cardboard (reversing pattern on broken line at centre for full design); with knife and ruler, cut out.
3. With sawtooth border along edge, lay pattern on wrong side of felt; with marker, trace pattern. Repeat at other end. Moving pattern as you work, trace sawtooth border and desired sections of design along each long edge; with scissors and/or knife, cut out.
• Adjust runner size, as desired.
• Reuse pattern, along with stencil brush and fabric or acrylic paint, to stencil section of star design onto napkins (preshrink and press, first).
• A collection of Christmas craft ideas
• Make a stylish apron in 5 steps