Do you love crafts? Sign up for CanadianLiving.com's craft newsletter, Get Crafty!
Spice ornaments are made by covering Styrofoam® balls with powdered or crushed dried spices. To create a variety of looks, the simple ornaments can be embellished with ribbons and preserved or artificial leaves or berries. For durability, the spice-covered ornaments are sprayed with an aerosol clear acrylic sealer.
• Powdered or crushed dried spices, such as nutmeg, cinnamon, oregano, mace paprika, parsley, poppy seed, crushed red pepper, allspice, mustard seed, chili powder, or dried orange peel
• Aerosol acrylic paints in colours that blend with spices
• Styrofoam balls
• 20-gauge craft wire
• 9 in (23 cm) length of ribbon or cording, for hanger
• Thick craft glue; hot glue gun and glue sticks
• Aerosol clear acrylic sealer
• Embellishments as desired
1. Roll Styrofoam ball lightly against table to compress the Styrofoam slightly.
2. Spray Styrofoam ball with aerosol acrylic paint; allow to dry.
3. Apply craft glue to the Styrofoam ball; roll in spice to cover. Allow to dry. Apply aerosol acrylic sealer.
4. Knot the ends of the ribbon or cording together. Bend 4 in (10 cm) length of wire in half. Attach ribbon or cording to the ornament with wire as shown; secure with dot of hot glue.
5. Secure any additional embellishments to the ornament as desired, using hot glue. Try adding a mistletoe spring for a "kissing ball."
Page 1 of 1