Knitters will appreciate this roomy, wood-frame knitting basket.
For fabric bag:
• Heavy fabric, same on both sides, 82.5 x 33 cm (32-1/2 x 13 in), for main piece
• Heavy fabric, same on both sides, 82.5 x 23 cm (32-1/2 x 9 in), for side piece
• Matching thread
• 4 pieces of hardwood (such as walnut, maple), each 1/2 x 7/8 x 17 in, for end posts
• 2 pieces of dowelling, 3/8-in diameter, each 11-3/4 in long, for side bars
• 2 pieces of dowelling, 3/8-in diameter, each 12-3/4 in long, for side bars
• Dowelling, 1/2-in diameter, 11-3/4 in long, for handle
• Dowelling, 1/2-in diameter, 12-3/4 in long, for handle
• 2 No. 10 screws, 3/4 in long
• Watco oil (clear)
• Wood glue
• Drill with 1/2-in and 3/8-in bits and a No. 10 countersink
• Fine sandpaper
To sew bag:
At each end of side piece, turn under 13 mm (1/2 in), then 20 mm (3/4 in). Topstitch close to first fold. At each end of main piece, turn under 13 mm, then 4 cm (1-1/2 in). Topstitch close to first fold, leaving sides open to insert dowel.
Turn under 6 mm (1/4 in), then 6 mm along each long edge of both pieces of fabric. Topstitch close to first fold.
With wrong sides up, lay side piece on main piece, forming a symmetrical cross. Topstitch together where they overlap along edges of side piece.
With right sides together, stitch together adjacent edges of fabric to form bag, using 6 mm seam allowance. Turn right side out. Bottom of bag is double thickness. Dowels will be inserted between layers.
To make frame:
1. File or sand all corners of tops and bottoms of 4 end posts.
2. Drill holes for dowels in end posts as follows, measuring from top end to centre of hole and drilling 1/4 in deep: Drill a 1/2-in hole, 7/8 in from top end. Drill a 3/8-in hole, 2-3/4 in from top end. Drill a 3/8-in hole, 14-7/8 in from top end.
3. In 2 end posts, drill holes for screws 9 in from top end, using No. 10 countersink. These are the outer posts.
4. Sand all pieces lightly. Finish with 2 coats of Watco oil.
5. Screw each outer post to an inner post (without screw hole) to form an X.
6. Apply glue to inside of holes on each end post. Insert dowels in one end of frame. The longer dowels fit into the outer posts; the shorter ones fit into the inner posts.
Slide casings of fabric bag over 3/8-in dowels at top and bottom of frame. Insert dowels into other end of frame.