When my eldest son went into full-time daycare so I could take my dream job, everyone I knew was super-supportive and offered to be my backup childcare network. Then, of course, he got sick. And I learned:
- Kids get sick in the night, meaning that calls to the backup babysitter happen at 6 am.
- Kids always get sick when you have had a week where you got behind first.
- Everyone I know, even those who are retired, are as busy as I am. Sometimes more.
- Working ahead of deadline as much as possible
- Leaving good notes for others, just in case
- Using technology as much as possible to be available, conference in on meetings, etc.
- Trying to keep my sense of humour. It does get easier; with a toddler we are in the worst years again, but I know: it ends. One day, we won't need that backup babysitter.