Our Canada: Killarney, Man.
Image courtesy of The Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain Credits: Image courtesy of The Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain
Our Canada: Killarney, Man.
The prairie oasis of Killarney offers ample opportunity to relax and enjoy the amenities, and golf enthusiasts will be impressed with the traditional links style 18-hole golf course, complete with lush green fairways that border the lake.
Winter recreation abounds with scenic snowmobile and cross country ski trails (500 km of well-groomed trails) and the Shamrock Centre recreation complex. The rolling farm fields and raw beauty of this prairie town offer a unique getaway, a wonderful place to raise a family or retire.
Beautiful parks and a thriving outdoor scene
While in Killarney, one is filled with a sense of infinite space because of the rolling farmlands stretching to the horizon beneath the vast blue sky. Plus, there are wonderful sunsets across the wheat fields – truly something to behold.
In the center of Killarney, you will find the jewel of the community, the lake. This oasis has shaded footpaths, bike trails, and a lovely beach.
If you are looking for a quiet spot to enjoy the view, Killarney's Centennial Park, located along the lake's bay, is a terrific location to watch the pelicans in season or enjoy the brilliant shades of turning leaves in autumn. In the winter months, it attracts visitors for ice fishing, skating and snowmobiling.
Things to see and do in Killarney
- Shamrock Centre – A 78,000 sq. ft. state-of-the art community facility boasts a hockey arena, curling arena, bowling lanes, fitness facility and banquet hall.
- J. A. V. David Museum – The Annex features a country school, doctor's office, elegant period clothing, archives, homestead maps, cemetery records and war relics. Open July and August.
- Turtle Mountain Flywheel Club Historic Village / Power Machinery Museum – Imagine one hundred engines ranging from a Ruston-Hornsby diesel that powered the original Manitoba Pool Elevator in Killarney to a one-horsepower unit. The museum is open from spring to fall.
- Little Irish Downs Harness Racing
The Little Irish Downs in Killarney has been one of the most popular stops on Manitoba's harness racing circuit for over 30 years. The Great Western Manitoba Harness Racing Circuit stops in Killarney for two back-to-back weekends each in August.
Where to eat
- Blarney Stone Pub & Restaurant
Located in the mall downtown, the Blarney Stone Pub & Grill: delicious main courses and tempting desserts.
- Danish Mermaid
Located in the mall, the Danish Mermaid: old-fashioned chocolates, ice cream, sandwiches and soup.
- Beach Hut
Located on Water Street across from the beach, the Beach Hut drive-in restaurant features an 18-hole mini putt range. It also serve up wraps, salads, chili, hotdogs, fries, hamburgers, shakes, sundaes and ice cream.
Do you think that your Canadian hometown tops Killarney's historic roots and beautiful scenery? Tell us for a chance to be featured on our site!