Summerproof beauty Image by: Getty Images
11 must-have hair and makeup picks to keep you cool, calm and collected this season.
Summertime calls to mind breezy, pared-down beauty habits, but it’s easier said than done when excessive temperatures, along with high humidity, make frequent appearances. You can still look fresh and polished, despite the elements, by adding a few products that can take the heat.
Image by Geoffrey Ross
1. Humidity can wreak havoc on hair, so to help tame your unruly do, apply a lightweight oil. This one smooths strands and protects against the humidex. Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum, $8, garnier.ca.
2. Yes, your hair needs UV protection, too, or else you risk dry and faded tresses. This mist forms a screen that defends with antioxidants and UV filters. Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil, $38, aveda.ca.
3. Summer can be especially cruel to your styling attempts. When in doubt, throw your hair into a ponytail with this tie that won’t damage hair and helps prevent headaches. Invisibobble Original Hair Ring in Pretzel Brown, $10/pkg of 3, beautyboutique.ca.
4. Health Canada recommends applying sunscreen at least every two hours, so stash one in your bag. This tinted option makes reapplication that much easier. Consonant Skincare The Perfect Sunscreen SPF 30, $45, consonantskincare.com.
5. For foundation to take you from air-conditioning to 30°C weather, you need one that won’t budge. Enter this full-coverage version, which serves as primer, concealer and foundation in one. CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation, $15, shoppersdrugmart.ca.
6. The Body Shop’s super-sheer shades for both lips and cheeks are buildable, and they really do last, offering up a wash of long-wear colour. The Body Shop Lip & Cheek Stain in Dark Cherry, $16, thebodyshop.ca.
7. Waterproof mascara is a must in summer because, even if you’re not pool hopping, sweat and oil can lead to smudging. Maybelline New York Total Temptation Waterproof Mascara, $12, shoppersdrugmart.ca.
8. A shimmery liquid eyeshadow finds the sweet spot between the glow of a cream and the longevity of a powder. Seriously, this stuff won’t move. Stila Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Grace, $31, beautyboutique.ca.
9. This alcohol-free, mattifying spray locks makeup in place while minimizing the appearance of pores. Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray, $39, sephora.ca.
10. For those with oil-slick skin, pressed powder is the answer. Pick one that’s lightweight, translucent and oil-absorbing. Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Microfinishing Pressed Powder in Translucent, $45, sephora.ca.
11. If you’re feeling shiny—and not in a glowing way—add blotting papers to your arsenal. Our pick is this chic refillable mirrored compact that lets you lift away shine without messing up your makeup. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Invisimatte Blotting Paper, $20, sephora.ca.