Veggie lovers, rejoice! These patties pack plenty of flavour and texture. We promise: You won't miss the meat.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 45 minutes
- 7 teaspoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 small sweet potato , peeled and cut in 1/4-inch thick rounds (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 large head)
- 2 cups shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions , finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 red onion , cut in 3/4-inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup Charred Green Onion Mayonnaise (link to recipe in Method)
- 4 The Ultimate Burger Buns (link to recipe in Method), split and toasted
- 1 cup broccoli sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
In large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tsp of the oil over medium heat; cook sweet potato in single layer, flipping once, until tender, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in pot of boiling salted water, cook broccoli for 1 minute. Drain; transfer to bowl of ice water to chill. Drain well; pat dry.
Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In food processor, pulse sweet potato with broccoli until finely chopped, 6 or 7 pulses. Scrape into large bowl; stir in cheddar, green onions, egg, bread crumbs, pepper and salt until combined. Shape into four 4-inch wide patties.
Place patties and red onion on prepared pan; brush all over with remaining oil. Bake, flipping halfway through, until patties are golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
Spread half of the Charred Green Onion Mayonnaise onto bottom halves of buns; top with patties, remaining Charred Green Onion Mayonnaise, red onion and broccoli sprouts. Sandwich with top halves of buns.
Makes 4 burgers.
Nutritional facts Per burger: about
- Fibre 7 g
- Sodium 973 mg
- Sugars 15 g
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 728
- Total fat 42 g
- Potassium 765 mg
- Cholesterol 142 mg
- Saturated fat 14 g
- Total carbohydrate 67 g
- Iron 34
- Folate 75
- Calcium 32
- Vitamin A 149
- Vitamin C 97