We're still getting requests for this colourful party-size appetizer from 1988. We've lightened up the original, and it's better than ever.
- Portion size 24 servings
- Credits : © CanadianLiving.com
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) refried bean
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 avocados
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted black olive
In bowl, stir together refried beans, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the sour cream, cumin, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt and hot pepper sauce; spread in 12-inch (30 cm) round serving dish that is at least 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) deep.
Peel and pit avocados. In bowl, mash together avocados, onion, lime juice, hot pepper flakes, 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the remaining sour cream and remaining salt ; spread over refried bean layer. Top with remaining sour cream.
Starting at outside, garnish with concentric rings of cheese, tomatoes, green onions and olives. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Kary's Tip: Serve this tasty dip with nacho chips and homemade Pita Chips.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 219 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 105.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 7 g
- Iron 6.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 10.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 8.0